Imagine your father, mother or any of your family members is addicted to drugs. Substance abuse has become a monster to the society as a whole. Once a social pastime [not that we liked it that way still], substance abuse has degenerated into an ugly habit? In this article, I will try to unearth the tell signs that you are going down the rabbit hole as a result of substance abuse. You will also get informed as to why you need to seek help immediately.
So the big question here is, why do we as a society condone alcoholism and the use of recreational drugs, and then start pointing fingers when things go awry. We label those who occasionally indulge in substance abuse such as alcohol to be “cool and then demonize them when matters slip out of their hands.”
Typically, people start indulging in drug use, because of some of the following reasons.
· Negative peer pressure:
This happens majorly to teenagers who want to fit into their peer groups. As a way of passing time together, they may start abusing a substance.
· Stressful conditions:
Some people indulge in drug addiction in the belief that it will relieve them their stress. It surely does relieve stress but only momentarily because it creates a delusional belief that the stress is gone while it may not have been addressed at all.
The history of their background may reveal that their immediate relatives were substance abusers. So that gene exists in that person and what it needs for it to manifest itself is just a trigger such as the person just attempting that drug, especially alcohol which is the main culprit here.
The society tends to accept the use of some drugs for example caffeine. This is a drug that gets heavily abused by a majority of the populace. Gallons of this substance gets consumed on a daily basis, and people brag about it as they think that it makes them very efficient in their duties. But in a real sense, they become addicted to it and suffer consequences such as mood swings, withdrawal symptoms among others, just like those who abuse other hard substances.
Social drinking is a norm. You can have one for the road as you socialize with your buddies after work. We are also familiar with this healthy tip from experts that some ounces of beer in a day can be great for your digestion and so forth. We may have read articles in magazines proclaiming that wine is a good for your health. All these can be of good intentions, but when these habits surpass the usual and it becomes a character, where do the initiators of all these go? Once a person is addicted, they get abandoned to their own devices.
You may be addicted to recreational drugs, alcohol or any other substance. So, the important question is how do you get yourself out of this mess? Dealing with a substance abuse problem starts with the admittance that you have a problem, and you need assistance. What signs can tell you that you are abusing drugs? Here are some of them.
· You start neglecting your responsibilities, be it at home, school, work, family, etc.
· You get yourself into trouble with authority, for example, you get arrested for misdemeanors such as disorderly behavior under the influence, stealing to support your habit, driving under the influence of drugs, etc.
· Your relationships developing problems such as frequent fights with your spouse, loss of friends and a disgruntled boss among others.
· Taking dangerous and uncalled for risks with your life. For example having unprotected sex without care under the influence, driving a vehicle while high on substances.
And what shows you are addicted
· You cannot function without them. You are now a zombie, you take more drugs to try and ease the withdrawal effects, and you do it without apology.
· You have no control over substance abuse. You find yourself using it even after swearing never to.
· You need more drugs to satisfy your cravings as compared to when you started out.
· Your life gets majorly centered on drugs. All your efforts are directed to getting that joint or a pint or whatever substance you abuse.
· You have undergone a lot of trouble and pain because of the drug; you are synonymous with things like depression, infections, mood swings, blackouts, etc. but you still hang on to the drugs.
Course of action
If you abuse a drug or substance and you have exhibited any of the signs mentioned. You need to seek help immediately. You should visit a doctor who will assess your health and recommend further action. You may be booked into a rehabilitation center depending on your condition.
A person’s health is critical; therefore, if you have any condition that endangers it, you should seek medical help. For those with substance abuse problems, a rehabilitation center can be of great value.